BOHOL TRAVEL GUIDE: Top Tours and 3 Most Popular Things To Do
The way the island of Bohol has captured my water and adventure spirits was never been a surprise to me at all. I knew the moment I set foot on the island that it will be one of my favorite islands along with Siquijor, Siargao, Cebu, and Coron.
Bohol is a top-tier destination for beach bums, thrill-seekers and it’s a freediver’s paradise. This ultimate Bohol travel guide is for people like me who enjoys adventure both on land and underwater, and love chilling out or going extreme. I stayed in Bohol for over a week and then I never stopped coming back. It’s like a craving that I couldn’t get out of my system no matter what. Bohol will always be on my top three answer if someone would ask me about my favorite province in the Philippines.
TOP 3 MOST RECOMMENDED TOURS IN BOHOL
Before I visitedBohol, I have already researched the things that I wanted to do – listed down all tourist attractions and read other people’s blogs to get an idea of the itinerary and budget.
1. COUNTRYSIDE TOUR — The Best Land Tour in Bohol
The countryside tour is Bohol’s most recommended and highly popular tour.
- CHOCOLATE HILLS – Located throughout the towns of Carmen, Batuan and Sagbayan, the hills consist of about 1,776 mounds of the same general shape. A 220-step concrete ladder will get you to the observation deck at the Chocolate Hill complex.
- BOHOL TARSIER CONSERVATION AREA
- BILAR MANMADE FOREST – Also called as Bohol Mahogany Forest, it is a dense forest stretching two kilometers along the border of Loboc and Bilar towns in Bohol. The forest is mainly made up of white and red mahogany trees.
- ATV RIDE
- LOBOC RIVER CRUISE
- BACLAYON CHURCH
- BLOOD COMPACT SHRINE
- HINAGDANAN CAVE
2. DANAO ADVENTURE PARK — A Must-try Extreme Adventure in Bohol
Danao Adventure Park is a must-visit for thrill-seeker tourists. It is where the longest and tallest zipline in the Philippines is found. It has the deepest free-fall adrenaline activity as well. Not for faint-hearted people but definitely for anybody who loves to go extreme.
Located in Barangay Magtangtang, Danao Adventure Park is a 2-hour drive from Panglao. Here are some activities that I did in Danao Adventure Park.
- THE PLUNGE – I was advised to do ‘The Plunge’ first while there are still not a lot of people lining up yet. And my thought is you really need to try this one first ’cause my mantra after doing it is once you do the plunge, you can do everything in Danao Adventure Park.
- GIANT SWING – I did the second of the most challenging ride here. It tops 3rd for me because the adrenaline feeling is just during the free fall and it gets boring afterwards as you wait for the swing to stop.
- SUISLIDE – I’d say this is a heart-pounding ride. I got so scared of this one that it felt like it was the longest minute of my life. I used to say to myself that I would never ever ride a zipline and there I was riding one while laying flat on stomach suspended on a cable watching a view 200 meters above the ground. It’s a two-way ride so, it was worth it.
- SKY RIDE – The least of my favorite ride of all the activities that I tried in Danao Adventure Park. It was just challenging to me because of my overthinking that the cable might break and stuff.
As an aspiring freediver, freediving in Bohol is a bucket list that I had proudly checked-off! Now, it’s one of my highly recommended destinations for other freedivers out there. The underwater environment and landscapes of Bohol is beyond breathtaking, and it has A LOT to offer — a wreck, sea turtle sanctuary, sardines run, abundant marine life, gentle sea creatures, and an out of this world dive point. Up until this writing, I’m still in awe just by looking at my underwater photos. I post freediving videos on TikTok, too.
I know I haven’t explored everything yet. I might add more to this list if I can dive more spots, but here are the best dive spots to freedive in Bohol.
- Napaling Crack – With a depth that will reach to up to 25 meters down to the sea floor, Napaling becomes so popular with freedivers because of its breathtaking coral wall and crack.
- Balicasag Island – You will love Balicasag Island because of its two beautiful dive spots – the reef and the sea turtle sanctuary.
- Bohol Plane Wreck – Located just off shore South Palm Resort, the plane wreck should be on your dive spot list when you visit Bohol. It’s usually the second spot of the tour after Balicasag Island.
- Lila Whaleshark – To dive with these giants of the sea in Lila Bohol is an experience of a lifetime as a freediver. It is tremendously popular for tourists in Bohol and it’s amazing to see them up close and personal.
- #Freediving – This spot that I knew from TikTok videos and I’m happy to have known that it’s located in Bohol, so I had to see it. Include this on your itinerary when you go see the whalesharks in Lila.
- Estaca Reef – A surprising reef spot for me and it’s so beautiful there — calm water, no current, and the visibility is chef kiss.
On the list are the most popular ones and most of it can be enjoyed by a beginner to an expert freedivers. You don’t need to be certified to dive on these spots, but I highly suggest to book a certified freediver to safely guide you. If you’d like to know more, I have written down a dive guide about freediving in Bohol. There are tips, my exact dive days itinerary, and budget so you can plan your freediving trip properly.
>> ARE YOU PLANNING YOUR FREEDIVING TRIP IN BOHOL SOON? Read My Dive Guide With Tips, Itinerary and Budget Here!
WHERE TO STAY IN PANGLAO BOHOL
MOON FOOLS HOSTEL — A Budget Hostel Near Alona Beach IN PANGLAO
With free WiFi at the lounge area, Moon Fools hostel offers an eco-friendly accommodation located right in the middle of the tourist hub of Alona Beach area of Panglao Island. It’s always my go-to hostel as a digital nomad and a solo female traveler when visiting Bohol because well, it’s literally just a minute walk to coffee shops, restaurants, fastfood chains, grocery store and more.
More Hotel Suggestions
- BOHOL CATTLEYA RESORT
- CAPTAIN’S LODGE
- ULTRA MINT DIVE RESORT
WHERE TO EAT AND DRINK IN PANGLAO BOHOL
- GLEBE COFFEE
- BOUGAINVILLEA SPANISH RESTAURANT
- OVERGROWN COFFEE